Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Our Beautiful Kali

In Loving Memory of Kali
4.5.07 - 1.9.07






Late May of last year we finally got to bring home the newest addition to our family - a 6 week old Chihuahua that we named Kali. She was such a free spirit, she had the biggest heart, always loving on everyone, giving kisses and always wanting to be where we were. We fell in love with her immediately as did our other baby, Camo.

On January 6, 2007 she started having contractions around 10:30 that night. She had Kami (our little girl) at 1:30. Malley (Our little boy) arrived at 5:30. She was a wonderful mommy. I watched them for a couple hours before I went back to sleep, while my parents watched them.




I woke up around 10:30 that morning and took her outside to use the restroom. She was in a great mood, running around, looking for everyone, giving kisses, eating and drinking. And most of all taking wonderful care of her two sweet babies.













Monday, January 8, 2007

She was doing great, taking care of the babies. And around noon she started bleeding, not heavily, but it scared me. We took her to the vet and they said she would be fine, she was dehydrated and just needed some wet dog food and some pedialyte. I went and bought it and fed her and by the next day I noticed a huge difference. Something was terribly wrong.

She was no longer feeding the babies, she was not wanting to eat, she was drinking a lot, and she would urinate and deficate then lay in it. The only time she would move is when the puppies would find her, she'd scoot and hide from them. When I would take her outside she'd use the restroom and if I wasn't holding onto her she would fall over. By that night my husband realized just how serious it was.

He took her to the vet and we had taken the puppies off of her, she hadn't been feeding them anyways. She was even more dehydrated, her temperature had dropped to 93. They ran even more tests and decided to keep her over night. I learned a few weeks ago that they had diagnosed her with kidney and liver failure. My husband didn't tell me until recently because at the time I would have freaked and he knew I had to take care of the babies or I'd lose them too. They were closing so we had the option to send her to an emergency vet, there was no way I was going to let her stay alone so it wasn't even an option for me to leave her at her regular vets when there would be people watching her at the emergency vet.

She finally arrived at the E Vet around 8:00 and we were there shortly visiting her. We talked to her and let her know we were there and she lifted her head and cried softly at us. I tried my hardest not to cry, she was in a cage all by herself with tubes all over. It broke my heart. We told her we loved her, she wasn't alone, and we'd both be there early in the morning to bring her home with us.

At 10:30 we called and checked on her, her temperature had risen significantly and she seemed to be doing better BUT she wasn't out of the woods just yet. She had a better chance of making it if she made it through the night.

At 11:00 we got the dreaded phone call. All I remember is hearing, "I'm so sorry. Her little heart just couldn't take it anymore. It finally gave out on her." In between sobs the woman tried to calm me down. It completely broke my heart. It had just shattered into a million pieces, and that poor woman was trying her hardest to help me.

We cried for awhile, and finally decided that we had to bring her home. Around 12:30 my husband left me to feed the babies and went to go get her and take her out to my parents to bury her.


That was the longest two hours. Crying over Kali, trying to get them to eat from the bottle, worrying about my husband having to take Kali and bury her, it was hard on us both.

I started watching the recall a couple weeks ago and realized the symptoms were the same thing that Kali had. I called her vet and they said it was highly possible that it could have caused it.



Happily I can say her babies are 14 weeks old, they're a little over a pound and a half a piece and are healthy babies. They are staying with us, there is no way I could have given them up, especially when they are they only thing I have left of their momma.




Kami, Malley (at 10 weeks old), and their daddy, Camo.

No comments: